Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Do I, or Don't I?

It's January 31st, and I must make a decision that will impact me and my family for the next month--do I decide to plow through a novel in February, or bag it and accept that life is overwhelming and a mystery can't be thrown into the mix right now? Or do I spend February re-polishing my memoir, The Brides of March, getting it ready to self-publish this spring?

Won't we just have stomach flu all February after all?

Oh, I have paintings to do, articles to write, a steady gig to keep up that already takes up my every morning before getting kids ready for school--do I really need to push the envelope and add noveling to that busy life?

Chris Baty, of National Novel Writing Month, writes in his book No Plot, No Problem, that it is the busy people who succeed best at writing a novel in a month (November, a very bad time for me to novel--birthdays, Thanksgiving, practically no school days). Busy people don't muck around, they write.

Can I do it? Should I do it?

No comments: