Friday, October 20, 2006

Good News About Longterm Marriage

My spouse came into my office today with the news that her photography show was set--it would be from December 1 to 31, at Brian Marki Gallery. Details had been hammered out, goodwill was in the air and she knew what she needed to know.

What does this have to do with relationships, you ask?

That people, even after twenty years, can surprise you. In the last year my spouse has come into her own as a photographer, moving past utilitarian purposes, apologies or excuses not to bring the camera. She owns that she is a photographer, loves it, breathes it, has a vision. And I love her all the more for it.

Art has always been part of our lives as a couple. When I met her I was doing portraits of BIG BAD Bold lesbians in Seattle and dancing on tables in my spare time. She was off to graduate school but LOVED her camera. Over the years I worked in art related jobs and became a freelance writer as well as aspiring novelist and then memoirist. She continued to take more and better photos.

But this was a banner year for the both of artistically. She made a big leap a year ago, and during this year, and I have owned my work as a portrait painter more, and am trying to stop minimizing its importance.

I'm really proud of my wife. She is blooming with this new work, this new passion, and it shows a best side of her, a creative side, a right brain side that doesn't show at work in high tech. Her work surprises me, challenges me, and thrills me.

And that's good for a marriage.

On the easel: Blue
On the desk: eHow to cut down a Christmas tree
On the art table: acceptance to da Vinci Arts Fair
On the nightstand: Circles of Confusion by April Henry
On tape: Look to the Lady by Margery Allingham
On my mind: pizza for dinner, Over the Hedge on DVD and an early night for the preschooler so I can Work, Work, Work

No comments: