Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Happiness


OK, I admit it, I was crying last night while President-elect Obama was giving his acceptance speech. I was crying and proud, for the first time since 9/11, when people from all over the country civily helped each other in a crisis, to be an American. I buy into the "Yes we can" motto because that is what made America, I buy into the hope, the time for change, the belief that pride in our integrity and potential through hard work and determination can change worlds for the better. I was crying with happiness that race no longer has to be a restriction, and that gay Americans were mentioned in an acceptance speech. I was crying for the suffering already endured by those who went before him on the path to equality, and for the pride and happiness in faces shown on television, as our elected leader graciously thanked us for our support.


Yes, I'm giddy. This is like when we were suddenly allowed to marry almost five years ago, seemingly out of the blue, an unhoped for miracle of progress and equality that didn't last but was the start of something better legally. My heart is full and it feels good.

No comments: