Wednesday, May 06, 2009

I've Been Reading My Daughter's Books Again

No, not another ode to Twilight, I've been delving into other YA authors easily at hand, and spent all last week reading the Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare when I should have been working on my own book. It was excellent escape, though, and I needed it right then. It is funny not to be reading mysteries for a change; they've been my steady diet for so long, who knew that I needed teenage fantasy novels instead of civilized murder from an earlier era?

Not that I will ever renounce Dorothy Sayers, Agatha Christie or Ngaio Marsh.

Research, let's call it research. That's what my therapist says is responsible for her reading of the Twilight series (she treats adolescents and children, too), and she says she's sticking to that story. I sure wish that back when I was a paranormal loving girl, there were this many fabulous books to be had. Thank you J.K. Rowling for reminding writers everywhere that kids and teens are great readers given the right material.

Libraries have changed so much, too. This morning I requested The Host and Maximum Ride (so I can discuss them in an informed manner with my daughter) on audio file from the library, and fifteen minutes later one was ready for download. Voila! Like magic. It used to be weeks before an inter-library loan brought a much-desired volume to the local library. Okay, I admit it, I like technology even though it scares me.

And there is nothing that makes folding laundry, running errands or doing dishes better than listening to a good book at the same time. Brain candy; I love it.

No comments: