Monday, February 19, 2007

Friends for Life

You know how there are people you have known through many stages of life, but remained constant? There tend to be few of them, but we have a houseful of them today. A mom and kids we've known since the kids were mere ideas, and since the mom and I were hanging out at Lincoln High School in Seattle, two teenage girls putting off pheromones for miles and catching nothing but, well, fish it was best to toss back. She's known my loser boyfriends (and I haven't had a boyfriend since I was 19), and I've known her loser husbands. She loves my winner wife, and wishes her affections lay in that direction because it might have made life a little simpler. We both have wonderful children we adore, even when they're buttheads. We've been housewives and stay-at-home moms, and now she's an educator again, and a head of household, while I continue to plug away at the writing career I've been driving at 5 miles an hour for fifteen years, but hope to shift into 3rd.
We don't clean for each other, need to put on our faces, or make excuses for our lack of exercise. We eat chocolate together, talk about the use of serial commas and disgusting details of biology our children would rather not hear about.
My wife leaves the room.
It is good to have friends.

No comments: